In this newly created role, the Regulatory Counsel will stay up-to-date on the cannabis regulations applicable to Green Thumb Industries and provide regulatory legal advice to teams across the company’s businesses. This role will also be responsible for preparing disclosures and reports on behalf of Green Thumb’s board members, directors and officers as required by the cannabis regulations, and serve as the cannabis state regulators’ primary contact for such reporting.
The Regulatory Counsel must have good working knowledge of federal and state regulatory interpretation. Our ideal candidate has 3+ years of demonstrated experience practicing regulatory law in, or for a client in, a highly regulated environment, is comfortable working with ambiguity, and invigorated by the prospect of paving the way in a new industry!
- Independently review, analyze and keep current on developments in state and federal laws and regulations affecting the cannabis industry and the GTI business, and provide business clients legal advice regarding those laws and regulations to ensure organizational compliance in each of GTI’s markets.
- Work directly with GTI’s board members, directors, officers, and others to prepare their principal officer applications, agent badge renewals, affiliations and other required reports, disclosures and filings as required by applicable cannabis regulations.
- Collaborate with the Regulatory Compliance team to review and revise regulatory submissions, respond to regulator inquiries, and assist with other projects as needed.
- Advise on training, auditing and monitoring activities applicable to the business and help ensure compliance with cannabis laws and regulations.
- Conduct or support regulatory compliance investigations as needed.
- Support M&A due diligence and related projects as needed from a regulatory perspective.
- Build good relationships with state regulatory officials and staff.
- Supervise and review work product of outside counsel, consultants and other third-party service providers.
- Assist with other responsibilities as needed.
- Licensed attorney with JD Degree from an accredited law school.
- 3+ years regulatory law experience, ideally in the regulated cannabis industry or another highly regulated industry, such as food and beverage, pharmaceutical, gaming or tobacco.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills, and ability to communicate in a professional manner both internally and externally with regulators.
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information.
- Detail-oriented, organized, efficient and resourceful with strong follow-through skills.
- Highly motivated, self-directed, innovative, and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense and resourcefulness.
- Adapts and thrives in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Highly motivated, self-directed, innovative and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense and resourcefulness
- Adapts and thrives in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Possesses a high level of critical thinking
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information
- Must understand and comply with the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of Green Thumb
- Must have a solid understanding of the Cannabis laws, rules and regulations and passion to further their understanding and knowledge of the industry and the laws.
- Law firm and/or regulatory agency experience is preferred.
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Some travel may be required, up to 10%
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
- Must possess valid driver’s license
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must be approved by state badging agency to work in cannabis industry
Our Mission: To promote well-being through the power of cannabis.
We’re humble—We prefer quiet confidence and don’t shout about our success.
We’re hardworking—We put our heads down and get the job done.
We’re grateful—Working in our industry is a privilege and an act of service.
We’re transparent—Honest and open communication keeps us healthy as an organization.
We’re collaborative—And believe good ideas can come from anywhere.
We have a growth mindset—One that’s grounded in well-being.
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can’t wait to meet you.